Thursday, June 21, 2007

My mission trip

So, in case you didn't know, I recently got home from a 2 1/2 week mission trip to Malaysia with the Awana M-I-T (Missionary In Training) program. I was on a team with Mr. and Mrs. Bidwell, Hannah Sexton, Jenna Guthmiller, Bobi Ezell, David Schild, and Brett Hartt. I love my team so much. They are like my second family. I lvoe them each soooo much!! The trip went really well. I did not want to come home. The only part of the trip that I did not like was the long flights and the humidity. To get to Malaysia, we flew from Chicago to LAX (4 hrs), from LAX to Taipei (18 hrs), and from Taipei to Malaysia (4 hrs). On top of that, we had about a 2 hour drive to where we were staying. But, I think that the end results of the trip made the flights all worth it. We worked at 2 different church camps running a children's ministry. Each camp was 3 days/2 nights. The first camp was in a city called Port Dixon. We were at a hotel on the beach. The other girls on my team and I would get up in the morning and watch the moon set and the sun rise off the ocean. (sometimes we watched the sun set, too, if we weren't doing ministry until late). The second camp was in a city called Melaka. The hotel we stayed at there was very nice (something like a 4 or 5 star hotel. It was REALLY nice). The ministry we did involved running games, songs, puppet shows, skits, pantomimes, and teaching Bible lessons. Both camp had the theme of Faith, which was interesting because the whole theme behind the program I did the trip with is Stepping out in Faith. So, that was cool. At the first camp, we worked with 4 to 14 year olds. At the second camp, we worked with 4 to 12 year olds. The kids were so awesome. I miss all of their smiling faces. I saw God work in so many awesome ways. He revealed Himself to me during the second camp. I can't even begin to describe how awesome He is. We also worked at a third camp, but it was not a church camp. It was run by a church, but it was a community outreach camp. The church was in the middle of a Muslim community, so we could not evangelize. We had to simply build relationships and show the kids that we loved them. It was hard to talk about why we were there without mentioning God, but when we told them that we were there because we loved them, there were gasps in the room. At that camp, we worked with 3 different age groups back-to-back: 5 -7 yr olds, 8-9 yr olds, and 10-12 yr olds. We mostly ran games and crafts at that camp. But God still used us in great ways. God revealed Himself to me in so many different ways. I have a new understanding and a new love of God that I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for this trip. I also have a new perspective on worship. God is SOOOOO amazing! I am completely in love with my God and my King! This trip is one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

No comments: